The lockdown of the Australian city of Sydney has been extended until the end of next month to reduce and slow down the spread of Covid cases.
Authorities also decided to impose a curfew on two million people living in the city.
June To September
Sydney residents have been under stay at house orders since late June.
However, the infection has doubled in the past week with 642 new cases recorded on Friday, and 681 on Thursday.
“I apologize to the many people in those communities who are doing the right thing but for our health and safety to move forward we need to make these difficult decisions,” said New South Wales (NSW) Premier Gladys Berejiklian.
Why The Curfew?
The Premier explained that the curfew – which would range from 2100 to 0500 – was aimed at “reducing youth mobility”, as police said there had been nighttime incidents where people break lockdown rules.
But critics say there is little medical certainty that curfews are an effective control strategy – an opinion expressed by the Premier as well last month.
Local legislatures have also criticized the authorities for imposing strict restrictions on poor urban areas in the west and southwest.
Strict rules apply to the Sydneyersiders who live in the council’s twelve troubled areas – which are the most diverse and racially diverse communities in the city.
Apart from the stay at home restrictions, people in those areas will be restricted to just one hour of daily exercise.
What Did The Premier Say?
The measures are designed to prevent more people from “losing their loved ones”, the Premier said.
Critics say the country’s government could have taken early initiative to address Delta’s highly contagious variant.
Australia on Thursday reported its highest daily transmissions since the outbreak began, recording 754 cases.
Currently more than half of Australia’s 25 million people live in restrictions.
Other NSW Regions
Sydney remains a major concern – now 65 have died in NSW due to the recent outbreak.
Other regions of NSW is also in trouble, but Ms Berejiklian said restrictions outside Sydney would be reduced by 28 August.
To date, Australia has recorded the deaths of 971 people from Covid, under several nationalities.
But Delta variant’s outbreak in Australia in early June challenged the nation which was initially praised for its pandemic response.

