Site icon Auspreneur

APPLE PLAN TO SCAN CLOUD UPLOADS FOR CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE (CSAM) DELAY

(Image) Sada El balad

Privacy groups’ backlash led apple to postpone its plans to start scanning user images for Child sexual abuse images, before importing them to the cloud.

The company had revealed previously, that it is working on a tool for the detection of Child sexual images through scans before they’re uploaded to iCloud. 

The new technique apple working on was ‘’ perceptual hashing’’ making a comparison of known images of Child abuse when users intend to upload them on iCloud. However, the company will also manually review the images before flagging the user account to law enforcement.

In a statement on Friday morning, Apple said, 

“Previous month we announced plans for features proposed to help protect children from predators who use communication tools to employee and exploit them and limit the spread of Child Sexual Abuse Material. Based on feedback from customers, advocacy groups, researchers, and others, we have decided to take extra time over the coming months to collect input and make advances before releasing these critically important child safety features.”

However, now the company has decided to hold on to the implementation of the project. ‘’Last month was announced plans for features anticipated to help protect children from predators who use communication tools to recruit and exploit them, and limit their spread of child sexual abuse material, apple said in a statement. 

Apple, also had announced that it will have a second set of updates using the AI system to identify explicit images received and sent by users under 18 years of age through the messages app, and also users under 13, phones managed by their parents or guardian will be warned. 

Jason Kelley of American Digital rights group EFF said, ‘’ the backlash should be no surprise, what apple aims to do will create an enormous danger to our privacy and security.’’

“It will give ammunition to authoritarian governments wishing to expand the investigation, and because the company has negotiated security and privacy at the command of governments in the past, it’s not a time to think they may do so again.”

CHILDREN PROTECTION RIGHTS CRITICISM

Meanwhile, Andy Burrows, NSPCC’s Head of Child safety online policy show disappointment over the decision, and said, ‘’ this is an unbelievably disappointing delay. Apple was on track to roll out significant technological solutions that would irrefutably make a big difference in keeping children safe from abuse online and could have set an industry standard.’’

Burrows added, ‘’ they sought to adopt a proportional approach that scanned for child abuse images in a confidentiality way, and that balanced user protection and privacy. We hope Apple will reflect standing its ground instead of delaying important children protection measures in the face of criticism. ‘’ 

Exit mobile version