Wormhole, a cryptocurrency startup, announced on Thursday that “all monies have been returned” following the theft of over US$320 million (A$448 million) from its website in the fourth-largest crypto heist on record.
Wormhole, a “decentralised finance” website that allows information to be transferred between crypto networks, said on Wednesday that it had been “exploited” for 120,000 digital tokens linked to the second-largest cryptocurrency, ether.
The market value of the tokens was a little over US$320 million at the time of the heist’s revelation.
The heist was the most recent in the fast-growing but mostly unregulated Defi market.
Defi systems enable users to lend, borrow, and save – often in cryptocurrency – while avoiding traditional financial gatekeepers such as banks.
“All monies have been recovered, and Wormhole is back online,” the site said on Twitter, after previously stating on its Telegram channel that “all funds are secure.”
Wormhole provided no more information on how the cash was recovered and did not reply to several Reuters requests for comment via social media.
Like many Defi sites, Wormhole does not provide information about its location, ownership, or business structure.
“‘All money has been recovered,’ says the statement. How? Who will ultimately pay for it? “enquired one Telegram user.
“The team is working on a thorough incident report and will provide it as soon as possible,” one of the channel’s administrators said.
According to Elliptic, a blockchain research business located in London, attackers could illegally manufacture the width tokens. Over 94,000 were then transferred to the Ethereum blockchain, which supports ether transactions.
A wormhole has given the attacker a US$10 million “bounty” to return the cash, according to Elliptic, using messages contained inside ether transactions sent to the attacker’s digital address.


