THE VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT STOPPED STUDENTS RETURNING HOME FROM NEW SOUTH WALES

The pandemic situation has put not only governments under pressure but also has affected students studying away from home.

The Victorian government denied Victorian boarding school students to return home due to cross-border COVID-19 restrictions. These students are stuck in New South Wales.

10 High school Victorian students were studying in New South Wales were unable to return to their Riverina boarding school neither go home crossing the Victorian border.

Senator Perin Davey believes it’s a human rights issue where minor students have been separated from their parents amid COVID-19 restrictions.

It is also expected that almost 1200 Australian students could be blocked from crossing state boundaries facing challenges. Also, parents are worried about their children. They are pleading to the government and Victorian Health authorities to allow the children to go home.

Meanwhile, regional areas have extended stay-home orders till September 10. Most of the schools are closed while students are attending classes from home. Additionally, the New South Wales government has plans to shut schools till October 25.

GOVERNMENT OFFERS TO THE PARENTS

Victorian government has suggested that these students must complete two weeks of hotel quarantine in Melbourne before returning home.

However, NSW cross-border commissioner James Mc Tavish did not like this idea of keeping minors in Quarantine. He said,

“There’s a concern in Victoria that these children and their parents may be a vector for COVID to come into Victoria but I note that Leeton, which is where Yanco is, has never had a COVID case,” 

He further added, “These children present no risk to Victoria. Hotel quarantine is unnecessary.” 

The commission suggested that these children can be picked up by their families without any physical contact, and they make sure that they get back to their houses. Also, suggested 14 days of self-isolation at home before getting back to routine life. It would be ideal for both parents, and the students.

Parents are waiting for the officials to exempt the ban, and allow home quarantine for these students. However, so far, there is no such good news from anyone regarding the issue.

New South Wales Senator Perin Davey is very concerned about these students, she expressed her views and said, “You are talking about minors,” She suggested a system where if the child tests negative must be allowed to travel and use immediate routes for safe travel. Use their masks where they stop for fuel and it must be acceptable to the states.

Otherwise, sending children from a place where there is no Covid (local area) to a place for hotel quarantine could be risky. 

Auspreneur Staff
Auspreneur Staffhttp://www.auspreneur.com.au
Auspreneur staff share a range of stories, from breaking news, and the latest from leading business owners, entrepreneurs and executives. Don't miss a thing and keep up to date with all the latest stories here.

Similar Articles

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular