Prior to crisis negotiations on Thursday, Anthony Albanese declared that there are no simple, ready-made remedies to the predicament in Alice Springs.
On the same day, Prime Minister and Northern Territory chief minister Natasha Fyles will be meeting in Canberra to explore a collaborative response to the snap review concerning alcohol bans in the area.
The review was commissioned after a range of social issues in the town, including alcohol-related violence, and it aimed to examine the effectiveness of the current alcohol restrictions.
It also looked into the potential for new restrictions on the sale and consumption of alcohol, in order to reduce the prevalence of alcohol-related crime in the area.
Albanese said it was clear that the situation in Alice Springs was complex and required a multifaceted solution. He said any solution should be based on the evidence available and should also consider the views of the local community.
The Prime Minister also said the government was committed to working with the Northern Territory government and the people of Alice Springs to come up with a solution that worked for everyone.
“I do not wish to postpone, yet I am aware that some of these issues are intergenerational and require more than just a quick fix. Alcohol is only one aspect of the equation; we must also consider employment opportunities, delivery of services, and availability of personnel,” he said.
Ms. Fyles advised against hastily making announcements in response to the review. She stressed the importance of making sure that our decisions are carefully considered and supported by evidence as we move ahead.
Last week, in response to the growing demand for action from both federal and territory governments, Mr Albanese and Ms Fyles visited Alice Springs.
On Monday and Tuesday, the two declared a three-month prohibition on the sale of takeaway alcohol in the area, as well as reduced trading hours for the remainder of the week.


