Site icon Auspreneur

Anti-Vaxxers Protest In Melbourne Prompts State Government To Shut Construction Sites

The Australian state of Victoria has closed down all construction sites in Melbourne following a violent protest against Covid-19 vaccine which has been made compulsory.

Monday’s protest was against the need for workers to show they had the dose of vaccines in order to gain access to their workplaces.

Officials say some areas will be closed for two weeks after construction workers and other protesters got involved in physical altercation.

Violent Protests

Property was damaged and police said several people involved in the protests were detained.

Hundreds rallied in Melbourne in another anti-vaccination protest on Tuesday, sparking flames and reportedly throwing urine on the journalists present on the site reporting the protest.

On Monday, as violence gathered momentum, police officers were reportedly deployed using rubber bullets and pepper spray to disperse the crowd.

CFMEU Office Attacled

The Victoria branch of the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) was destroyed, and glass collapsed in front of the building during protest violence on Monday.

This comes following the new rule of the government that from Thursday 23 September construction workers will have to show proof that they have received at least one vaccine in order to continue working, local media reported.

The ICFMEU has strongly condemned the attack on its office in Melbourne, where members have expressed support for government authority, saying the violence took place after the protests turned violent” by right-wing groups getting involved in the anti-vaxxer rallies.

What Next?

Some of its members were injured during the clashes, the union said in a statement, adding that bottles had been thrown at officials.

“The union will continue to protect the rights of its members to work safely throughout Australia and we will not be intimidated for doing our job,” the statement said.

In a Facebook post, the Master Builders Association of Victoria said all construction sites in the major cities of Melbourne, Geelong, Surf Coast, Ballarat and Mitchell Shire should be closed from midnight on Monday.

Exit mobile version